Books on Worship
But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him.
– John 4:23 ESV
Here is an ongoing compilation of books on Worship (mostly Presbyterian & Reformed). I pray you find this useful.
- A Better Way: Rediscovering the Drama of God-Centered Worship, Michael Horton. Baker Books, 2002.
- Christ-Centered Worship: Letting the Gospel Shape Our Practice, Bryan Chappel. Baker Academic, 2017.
- Doxology and Theology: How the Gospel Forms the Worship Leader, Matt Boswell. B&H Books, 2013.
- Does God Care How We Worship?, J. Ligon Duncan. P&R Publishing, 2020. ⛫
- Give Praise to God: A Vision for Reforming Worship, Philip Graham Ryken, editor. P&R Publishing, 2011. ⛫
- The God We Worship: Adoring the One Who Pursues, Redeems, and Changes His People (Best of Philadelphia Conference on Reformed Theology), Johnathan Master, editor. P&R Publishing, 2016.
- Let Us Worship God: Why We Worship the Way We Do, Derek W. H. Thomas. Ligonier Ministries, 2021. ⛫
- Reformation Worship: Liturgies from the Past for the Present, Jonathan Gibson and Mark Earngey. New Growth Press, 2018. ⛫
- Reformed Worship: Worship that is According to Scripture, Terry L. Johnson. Evangelical Press, 2014. ⛫
- Reformed Worship (Blessings of the Faith Series), Jonty Rhodes. P&R Publishing, 2023. ⛫
- A Royal Waste of Time: The Splendor of Worshiping God and Being Church for the World, Marva J. Dawn. Eerdmans Publishing, 1999.
- Scripture and Worship: Biblical Interpretation and the Directory for Public Worship (Westminster Assembly and the Reformed Faith), Richard A. Muller and Rowland S. Ward. P&R Publishing, 2007.
- Serving With Calvin: Leading and Planning Services of Worship in the Reformed Church, Terry L. Johnson. Evangelical Press, 2015.
- Trembling Joy: A Biblical Defense of Traditional Worship, Ryan Speck. Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals, 2022.
- The Westminster Directory of Public Worship, Sinclair B. Ferguson and Mark Dever. Christian Heritage, 2009. ⛫
- What Happens When We Worship, Jonathan Landry Cruse. Reformation Heritage Books, 2022. ⛫
- What is Worship Music?, Paul S. Jones. P&R Publishing, 2010.
- When Church Became Theatre: The Transformation of Evangelical Architecture and Worship in Nineteenth-Century America, Jeanne Halgren Kilde. Oxford University Press, 2005.
- With Reverence and Awe: Returning to the Basics of Reformed Worship, D.G. Hart and John R. Muether. P&R Publishing, 2002. ⛫
- Worship: Reformed According to Scripture, Hughes Oliphant Old. Westminster John Knox Press, 2002.
- Worship by the Book, D. A. Carson, editor. Zondervan, 2002.
- Worship in Spirit and Truth: A Refreshing Study of the Principles and Practice of Biblical Worship., John M. Frame. P&R Publishing, 1996.
- Worship Matters: Leading Others to Encounter the Greatness of God, Bob Kauflin, Paul Baloche. Crossway, 2008.
- Worshipping with Calvin: Recovering the Historic Ministry and Worship of Reformed Protestantism, Terry L. Johnson. Evangelical Press, 2014. ⛫
- The Worship of God: Reformed Concepts of Biblical Worship, Terry L. Johnson. Mentor, 2005.
Are there any books you would add?
Books with ⛫ are in my personal library.